Buxton, Oregon, 1906
Buxton, Oregon, 1906
Photo of a town. Streets appear to be muddy and wet, and a path runs along a post and pole fence down from the foreground of the image into the town. A boardwalk runs partially along one side of the street in the foreground. A number of houses and buildings are visible, several with smoke coming from their chimneys. All appear to be wooden construction. Bare-branched and evergreen trees are scattered throughout the buildings. A number of buildings are numbered in white, identified by the legend on the back of the photo. Number one is a church, with a steep gabled roof and a steeple. Number two is a two-story building, white, with a single-story extension and a covered porch area extending from the first floor and a small dormer window on the far end of the roof. Scaffolding has been attached to the end of the building. Number three is a two-story gabled building, long, with a square store front with three double-hung windows above an awning-style roofline that runs above the first story of the building. This extends to a salt-box like roof on the back of the building. Number four is a long, single-story building, with a square front and a covered porch. Number five is a dark colored, gabled building with two visible stories. It is surrounded by a plank fence, and appears to have two entrances, one on the narrower front facing the road and one on the side of the building. Two double-hung windows appear on the second floor, and the door on the side is bracketed by a second pair of windows. Smoke is visible from the chimney towards the front of the building.
Back: Buxton, Oregon 1906. 1) Presb. Church. 2) House of Charley Peterson, Post Master. 3) John Henry's 'Rinck' Stair. 4) Bob Simpson's Saloon. 5) Elk Horn Hotel
Online access to this image is for research and educational purposes only. To inquire about permissions, order a reproduction, or for more information, please contact the Washington County Museum at firstname.lastname@example.org.