Forest Grove Hotel

Title

Forest Grove Hotel

Description

A photograph of the Forest Grove Hotel probably taken around 1900. The name of the proprietor, "Mrs. S.A. Sloan," appears on the sign, which is hanging from a large oak tree. The hotel was also known as "Mrs. Sloan's Hotel" or "The Sloan." It stood in downtown Forest Grove on the south side of Pacific Avenue between A and Main streets, approximately where the Community School stands today. It was a stagecoach stop on the route between Tillamook and Portland; steps to get on/off a coach can be seen in this photograph. The hotel was a cross-gabled, Carpenter Gothic building with gingerbread trim around the front porch posts and the eaves. Three women sit on the front porch, two in light-colored blouses and skirts, one wearing a hat. Another woman sits next to them, and appears to wear a darker dress with 'leg-o'-mutton' sleeves. The Forest Grove Hotel was built in 1862 and had been replaced with another building by the 1930s.

Date Created

circa 1890s-1900s

Medium

copy prints

Language

English

Identifier

WCMpic_013968

Rights

Online access to this image is for research and educational purposes only. To inquire about permissions, order a reproduction, or for more information, please contact the Five Oaks Museum at Research@FiveOaksMuseum.org.

Collection