Workers at the Birds Eye plant

Title

Workers at the Birds Eye plant

Description

Black and white image of workers, mostly women, working at conveyors sorting fruit or produce for processing. Electric lights hang over each conveyor belt in addition to fluorescent lights overhead. Empty buckets are stacked about, and there are six visible work stations. The cannery was built in 1919 by a two local businessmen who were expanding from hops production into canning, Harold W. Ray and Bertrand E. Maling. They converted the plant to process frozen foods in the early 1930s, and the plant was sold in later years to Birds Eye Foods. The plant was demolished in the 1980s, its site near downtown Hillsboro now occupied by the Washington County Jail.

Date Created

circa 1950s-1960s

Medium

gelatin silver prints

Identifier

WCMpic_013830

Rights

Online access to this image is for research and educational purposes only. To inquire about permissions, order a reproduction, or for more information, please contact the Five Oaks Museum at Research@FiveOaksMuseum.org.

Collection