Sheep by the South Park (or Barnes) House


Sheep by the South Park (or Barnes) House


A cyanotype photograph of sheep in a field. The house at 1504 Elm Street in Forest Grove, OR, stands in the background. This photograph was likely taken between 1894-1896, when E.W. Haines owned the house.

The house was built in 1893 by Charles Keep. According to the Friends of Historic Forest Grove, this house was likely built by Keep as a symbol for the new "South Park" district, which had been just been added to the town in 1891. This house was sold soon after construction to Frank Davey, who sold it in 1894 to the local banker, E. W. Haines, who lived there for less than two years. Numerous other early residents stayed for short periods of time including Lavina Watt, the Agnete Staehr family, and others.

This house is locally known as the "Barnes House," the "Marble House," or the "South Park House." The reason for its association with the famous bow-maker Frank Barnes is unknown, however. Barnes lived in a home on what is now 19th Avenue, and he does not appear in any city directories, censuses or in the line of title connected with this house. The name "Marble House" was bestowed by the Marble Family, who owned it from 1965-1999. The house is now called the "South Park House," after its location in the South Park Addition.

This photograph is part of the Nettie Shipley Haines photograph album. For a related cyanotype photograph showing what appears to be the sidewalk in front of the house, see Pacific University Archives photograph PUA_MS149_002.

Date Created


Is Part Of

Nettie Haines Photograph Album


Forest Grove, Oregon, United States







Still Image

Linked resources

Filter by property

Title Alternate label Class
E.W. Haines on Wood Plank Sidewalk Image