Sepia-toned image of a cross-gabled, two-story house with steeply pitched, flared roofs and shingle siding. The house sits in a large yard and is surrounded by shrubbery. Museum records identify this as the 'Ward family home.'
Sepia-toned image of a young woman crouched down next to a young girl in a white dress. Museum records identify the image as that of ' Inez Warren and a neighbor girl;' Inez is most likely the older girl in the image.
Color image of a group of young children and others riding in a convertible during a parade. The signs on the car read 'Tigard Junior Women's' and 'Woodward Park Pre-School Playground.'
Black and white image of the Hasuike family on the front porch of their farm in Tigard. Back row (left to right) the four Hasuike brothers: Ryoto, Shinzo, Torazo and Isamu. Front row: Ao (wife of Torazo), grandfather Mankichi Hasuike, Omibu (wife of Shinzo). Related oral histories from the Hasuike family describe life as Japanese American farmers and the experience of being removed from their homes and forced into internment camps during WWII (WCM_OH_392a, WCM_OH_392b, WCM_OH_392c).
Black and white photograph of a farm, consisting of a large, two-story gabled house with a smaller house behind it, a large barn, and two smaller houses. An orchard fills the area behind and beside the largest house, and cultivated fields fill the rest of the image. Power poles line the dirt road in front of the house and along the drive way into the house.
Tigard main street at night. A garage and gas station sits on one side of the street, while neon signs for restaurants, banks, dry cleaners, and other businesses line the other side of the street. Several cars are parked along the street in front of the various businesses. The garage sign reads 'Lee Ariss Gas Garage' and also advertises 'Richfield' and 'Green stamps' as well as 'General Blacksmithing, Welding (Electric- Acetylene)' and 'Body Shop.' The other side of the street has signs for 'Green Valley' cafe, '[illegible]rg's Cleaners,' a 'Beauty Shop' with perms for $5.00, 'United States National Bank, Tigard Branch,' and a hardware store selling paints and plumbing equipment. A railroad crossing sign stands near the center of the image, and bright halogen street lights dominate the center of the image.
Black and white image of a two story building with a hipped roof and a covered front porch. Sign on the second floor reads H. B. Tigard General Store. A man walks across the dirt road in front of the building, and a single-car garage is visible beyond the back porch. A covered porch runs along the front of the building, with benches under the windows on either side of the main doors.
The Ariss Blacksmith Shop in Tigard, Oregon, circa 1912. The image shows a small, two-story building with a single garage door, which stands open in a square front facade. Three men, two in work clothes and one in a suit, stand in the doorway. A single window opens above the garage door, and a sign hangs perpendicular to the building, which reads: 'W. H. Ariss. General Blacksmithing.' On the wall below the window hangs a second sign advertising 'Winona Wagons'. Wooden fencing surrounds a yard to the building's right, with various wagon wheels and other equipment just visible through and above it, and brush fills a vacant lot to the building's left.
Sepia-toned image of a two men in coveralls standing in front of a gas station and garage. One man wearing a fedora stands next to a single gas pump at the side of a covered awning, while a younger man wearing a newsboy cap stands next to him. Behind them is an antique car. Two sets of garage doors are open, and a brick forge can be seen in the interior of one. Hoses hang at the left corner of the building. A sign on the top of the covered driveway reads 'Garage' while a sign beneath that says, 'Good Year Service Station' next to a tire. Another sign on the building's right corner reads 'Monogram Greases Oils' and another 'Union Coupons.'
A group of men inside the Ariss Blacksmith shop in Tigard, Oregon circa 1912. A note on the back of the photograph identifies some of the men as Bill Ariss, Kuhne, and Hunziker. Most of the men wear overalls or work coveralls, and a great deal of equipment fills the walls behind them. Pliers and forceps hang alongside a forge, and horseshoes, bits, and other tack materials can be seen hanging on the wall. In the center of the image, one man holds what looks like a large hubcap with spokes and lug nuts over a trough of water.
Sepia-toned image of a family standing in front of their home. A man and an older boy stand on either side of a woman; they wear suits, the boy has a newsboy style cap and the older man a straw boater style hat. The woman's hair is up in a loose bun, and she wears an ankle-length dress with elbow-length sleeves and that buttons down the front to her left. A small child with long curls stands in front of her, wearing an outfit made of dark material with white polka-dots. It has long sleeves and short pants, and buttons down the front to the child's right side. A dog sits on the walkway behind them. The house is small, square, with a pyramidal hipped roof and a front covered front porch. Wire fencing surrounds the small yard, and an outhouse can be seen in the back of the yard, just in front of a fence that separates the yard from what appears to be a large barn or garage.
Black and white photograph of a number of women sitting on the front porch steps of a house. Some of the women wear longer skirts with long-sleeved blouses and have their hair up in buns. Several of the younger women wear loose tops over mid-calf length skirts and have short, curly hair parted in the middle. A young girl sits in the middle of the front row; she has short hair and Mary-Jane styled shoes and is hiding her face from the camera.
Sepia-toned image mounted on heavy mat of a family and several other people standing on the front porch of a two-story, square fronted building that fills the right side of the image. A man and woman stand in the recessed doorway; her dress is polka-dotted and has lace edging on the collar and the caps of her sleeves. She wears a white apron. He wears a jacket and shirt, but no tie. A little girl stands between them, wearing a dark, long-sleeved dress. A dog lays on the step to the left of them. Three other men sit on benches and boxes in front of the store, two in work clothes and one in a suit with a derby-style hat perched jauntily on his head. A printed sign on the right of the building reads 'Tigardville Post Office', and a hand-lettered sign beneath it reads 'Portland 10 1/2m' with a hand pointing to the left side of the image. A two-story, cross-gabled house is visible behind the store to the left, behind a tree, and a power pole stands in front of the yard. A large lamp hangs from the far right side of the store's porch.
A black and white photograph of Main Street in Tigard shows four wood buildings lining a dirt road. In front of the first building on the left is a wood hitching post. Three women stand on the porch of the second building from the left. A telephone or telegraph pole appears in front of the third building to the left. Construction scaffolding exists on the facade of the building to the far right. Prior to 1911, Tigard's commercial activity was located around the Tigardville General Store at present-day Pacific Highway South and McDonald Street. When the Oregon Electric Railroad began service to Tigard in 1907, the local depot was established 1.5 miles north of Pacific Highway and McDonald Street. Subsequent commercial development shifted to this area (present-day Main Street) near the rail stop.
A black and white photograph of the Thomas family on the porch of the Tigard Telephone Office. Standing on the porch is Gertrude Thomas (to left) and Elmer Thomas (to right). Their daughter Helen sits on the edge of the porch. The telephone office is a one story, white rectangular building with a gabled roof and covered porch. At the front of the office is a doorway on the left side and a double pane window with a curtain in the lower half of the window on the right side. A small sign featuring the outline of bell is partially visible in the upper right-hand corner of the porch space. A one room addition containing a window is connected to the building's left side; a white picket fence and chicken wire run along the front of the addition. Mr. and Mrs. Thomas worked as telephone operators and lived in the office.
A studio portrait of Anna (Annie) Pollard McDonald, wife of Herbert McDonald. Anna is wearing a black dress with a high-collared white blouse underneath the dress. A white embroidered boarder surrounds the neckline of the dress. A black ribbon adorns her hair. Anna and Herb McDonald operated the McDonald Store (formerly the Tigardville General Store) from 1909 until the mid 1950s.
A black and white photograph of the Sylvester Vincent family posing on the front lawn of their home in Tigard. Pictured from left are Arthur Herbert Vincent, Mrs. Elizabeth Vincent, Dr. Sylvester Vincent (seated in a rocking chair with a newspaper) and George Sylvester Vincent. Dr. Vincent is dressed in a dark suit and white shirt, Mrs. Vincent is wearing a full-length white dess and the boys are wearing overalls. The residence is a white, one and one-half story home with a gabled roof. A concrete walkway leads to a roofed porch and goes around the left-side of the house. The porch is partially covered by a large rose bush and vines. A nameplate affixed to a crossbeam of the porch reads 'Dr. Vincent.' A 1911 Maxwell automobile is parked in the yard to the right of the house. A gabled-roof barn is located behind the automobile. Dr. Vincent was Tigardville's first doctor and had an office in Tualatin; his 1911 Maxwell was the first automobile in Tigard.
A black and white photograph of Main Street in Tigard, looking south. A black sedan drives north along Main Street. Telephone poles and four commercial buildings line the right side of the street. The building on the extreme right with a porch and shed roof appears to be vacant. The two-story white building with a shed roof to its left has the words 'meat market' painted along the side wall. To the left of the meat market is the William Ariss blacksmith shop.
A black and white photograph on a sunny day of Main Street in Tigard, looking north. A carriage, a flat-bed truck and several passenger vehicles are parked along the left side of the street. A gully lines the right side of the dirt street. False front commercial buildings and telephone poles appear up and down the street. The second building on the left side of the street is the William Ariss blacksmith shop. Across the street from the blacksmith and north about a block is the Germania Hotel.
A black and white photograph of Harry Kuehne and a dog standing in front of the H.R. Kuehne livery stable and farm equipment store on Main Street in Tigard. Harry Kuehne is dressed is a three-piece suit and hat. Two steel wheel tractors are parked behind him. The dark-colored, false front building has two large white garage bay doors on the ground floor and two narrow windows between them. On the second level to the left are two partially obscured signs: the top sign reads 'feed ment-co.' and the lower sign reads 'Kuehne' On the second level to the right are two narrow windows with a 'garage' sign extending from between them.
A black and white photograph of a two story, Queen Anne style home with a gabled roof and surrounded by a yard and a white picket fence. The first floor exterior of the home features a set of steps at the front-right corner that leads up to a hipped-roof porch surrounded by a low railing. A large bay window is seen along the left side of the house. The second floor of the house features a turret containing three visible double-pane windows and three intersecting, steep-pitched gabled roofs. To the right of the turret a chimney rises from the roof. A decorative bargeboard adorns the end of the gabled roof. The bell tower of St. Anthony's Catholic Church can be seen protruding above the horizon to the left of the house. The Nash home was located on Tigard Avenue and was built by Charles Shamburg in the 1890s. The Nash family resided here until the late 1920s.