Black and white image of a Romanesque revival church, Visitation Church in Verboort, Oregon. The Verboort community was founded in 1875 when the Verboort family with three other Dutch families settled in the area, calling themselves The Catholic Colony of Forest Grove. Many of the other Catholic churches in the area were founded by groups from this original church. The current building was erected in 1959; the sequoias on either side date from 1888.
Interior of a small chapel, whitewashed with chairs in rows. The only decorations are a Bible verse and a United States flag on the rear wall behind the pulpit, a missions map and a picture of Jesus on one wall. The attendance board lists 84 members, of which 61 were in attendance last week and 57 this week.
Black and white image of the framework for a small Gothic revival style sanctuary. Trinity Lutheran was built largely with donated labor from the congregation from 1947 to 1948. The building opened for dedication on May 9, 1949, likely when this photo was taken. The congregation remained here until the late 1990s, when they relocated to a larger facility elsewhere in Hillsboro. A donation enabled the city to purchase the property and renovate it for its current use, the Glen and Viola Walters Cultural Arts Center. (See also WCMpic_012430, WCMpic_012424, and WCMpic_012427 for other pictures of this building in the same time period.)
Black and white image of a number of men installing a church sign. The rocks were hand-quarried by the congregation from the quarry in Camas, Washington, where they used dynamite to loosen the rocks and then hauled them in personal vehicles to the building site. (See also WCMpic_012431, WCMpic_012424, and WCMpic_012427 for other pictures of this building in the same time period.)
Black and white image of a congregation gathered outside of a church. Trinity Lutheran was built largely with donated labor from the congregation from 1947 to 1948. The building opened for dedication on May 9, 1949, likely when this photo was taken. The congregation remained here until the late 1990s, when they relocated to a larger facility elsewhere in Hillsboro. A donation enabled the city to purchase the property and renovate it for its current use, the Glen and Viola Walters Cultural Arts Center. (See also WCMpic_012431, WCMpic_012430,and WCMpic_012427 for other pictures of this building in the same time period.)
Black and white photograph of a group of people on the sidewalk in front of a building. The sign behind the group reads 'Baptist Gospel Chapel.' The church was founded in 1944 by Rev. W. T. Mugford, formerly pastor of Hillsboro First Baptist Church and about thirty members of the congregation who left with him.
Black and white image of an Assemblies of God congregation in front of their church building. The church is evidently having a revival, as the sign on the front of the building proclaims 'God-sent Revival! Don't Miss It!!!
Colorized image of a large institutional building in the American Stick style architecture. Dormer windows indicate a fourth floor underneath the gabled roof, and an octagonal bell tower sits prominently in the middle front of the building. The middle portion of the building was the original motherhouse constructed for the Sisters, completed in 1894. The wings were constructed in the early 1900s, adding a chapel and room for a boarding school. St. Mary's was begun as an orphanage for wayward children in the Beaverton area in 1889, the Sisters arriving in 1891 to take over care of the children and provide religious instruction. In 1902 English was mandated as the convent's primary language, though many of the Sisters' first language was German. Agnes Morressey grew up in Cornelius, Oregon and entered the convent in 1904, at the age of sixteen, eventually taking the name Sister Mary Clare. As a postulant, she was infamous in the community for her inability to keep her postulant's sailor hat in place over her long, thick hair, mostly because she frequently misplaced her hatpin. An accomplished musician, Sister Mary Clare taught music and other subjects in area parochial schools. She died in 1922 of leukemia.
Black and white photo of the congregation in the newly built Trinity Lutheran Church. The church was built largely by the congregation with donated labor, including dynamiting and then hauling the rocks used for the exterior from the quarry in Camas, Washington. The church was in use by the congregation from 1949 until 1996, when they relocated to a bigger facility elsewhere in Hillsboro. The city of Hillsboro purchased the building in 2000, and in 2004, opened the Glen and Viola Cultural Arts center in the building, named for the donors who provided the funds for the purchase and renovation. (See also WCMpic_012431, WCMpic_012430, and WCMpic_012424 for other pictures of this building in the same time period.)
Sepia-toned image of a group of men and women kneeling in a field before a tent containing religious iconography. According to museum records, this is a Corpus Christi parade, a traditional Catholic feast day celebrated in late May or June.
Black and white image of a Carpenter Gothic church with an eight-sided steeple. A boardwalk runs along the side of the church, and a power line with two crossbars is just visible in the right side of the image. Dedicated in 1902, the first masses in the Church were celebrated in both English and German because most of the parishioners were of German or Swiss descent.
Black and white image of a church featuring cross-gabled construction, a ribbon of stained glass windows across the main end, and a large square belfry with an open bell section.
Black and white image of an old wooden church building. A sign above the door reads 'Cedar Mill Community Church'. The church has some elements of Carpenter or American Gothic design.
A group of nine children on the stage of a church. The oldest girl is seated in the middle of the group at the back and wears a crown and holds a bouquet. She is wearing a white dress and has bobbed hair. The other children are arranged around her, some seated and some standing; all appear to be under the age of seven. The three boys are in the front row; one wears a sailor suit and the other two have on light-colored shirts and short pants. All have short hair, parted to the side and slicked down. One girl wears a dress with a dark bodice and a peter pan collar; the other girls wear short, full white dresses with empire waistlines and have large white ribbons in their hair. The background behind them is a wallpaper of flowers, and flowers in pots are spaced along the stage in front of the children, and decorate its front edge. A single bouquet in a pot sits on the floor at the front of the stage. The corner of one stained glass window is just visible in the upper left of the image. The floor is wooden and two small runner carpets appear in the front of the stage. There appear to be stairs leading off to the left of the stage.
Group portrait of the congregation for the Memorial Methodist Episcopal Church. Based on the lack of glass in the windows, it appears that they are in the process of constructing a new church building.
Portrait of a group who are part of some sort of religious meeting, possibly held in or near Cornelius, Oregon. It is likely that this event was part of the wider Christian Revival movement which occurred in America in the 1890s. The sign above them in from Hebrews 9:28 (King James Bible) and reads: "So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for Him shall He appear the second time without sin unto salvation." This photograph is from the collection of the Cornelius Public Library.
A perfect attendance card, which was presented to Alonzo Squires for not being absent to any Sunday School classes in the quarter ending on December 31, 1916.
The church stood was the corner of Main Avenue and Second Street. It was dedicated in June 1926. The building was razed and the name later changed to Beaverton Christian Church. A 1920s car is parked on a muddy, unpaved street in front of the church.
The Garden Home Community Church on SW Garden Home Road at SW 71st Avenue. This building, also known as the Garden Home Community Methodist Church, was built in 1918. It was open to members of all denominations. The building was sold to the West Hills Unitarian Fellowship in 1961, who moved it to a different site. As of the 2010s, the building remains in use by the Unitarian Church.